Inside on Weights

Inside+on+Weights+

By Macey Schmitt

Weights class is offered every year at Atlantic High School. Students take it to become fit and active. Many athletes take weights as well, to prepare themselves for upcoming sports or to improve on the sports they are currently in.  Weights is an alternative to gym class. Weights instructor and head football coach, Nick Ross commented, “I like to keep the kids active. I like to watch them improve their strength and make them feel good about themselves.” Ross encourages the students during class by getting them pumped up about their workout. He shouts, “one more rep!” and “come on! You can do it!” to keep the students working hard.

Sophomore Skye Thompson stated, “It makes you stronger and helps me with sports.” Thompson says her favorite lift is squats. At the beginning of the year she was not very good at hang clean but now she has gotten a lot better. Thompson also says that she will participate in weights until her senior year.

Junior Joey Walker commented that weights has gotten him stronger so he can be more physical during sports. Walker participates in football, basketball, track, and baseball. His favorite lift is hang clean. Since his freshman year, he has gotten a lot better at squats. Walker plans on taking weights next year as a senior.

Sophomore Nate Tanner who does not participate in any sports said he takes weights to “get bigger”. His favorite lift is hang clean and since the beginning of year he has improved on squats. Tanner also plans on taking weights until he graduates.

Freshman Alyssa Crall said, “It helps me with sports and to get more fit for sports.” Crall’s favorite lift is squats. This is Crall’s first year at the high school and she said that she has gotten a lot better at incline bench since the beginning of the semester. Crall participates in volleyball, basketball, and track. Crall will take weights the next three years of her high school career.

So, whether an athlete or non-athlete, students believe that taking weights can help your overall health. It keeps you fit and active! Take weights next semester to get keep in shape and get stronger with Mr. Ross!