ASK MARK: Adventuretime

By Mark Stinn

One of my favorite shows on TV right now is Adventure Time, a cartoon series airing on Cartoon Network.  The show is extremely popular, being the highest viewed shows on Cartoon Network. It has spawned a massive following of adults and teenagers.

The show focuses on Finn the Human and Jake the Dog, two adoptive brothers who adventure, party, and hang out in the Land of OOO.  They encounter many characters on their adventures, such as Princess Bubblegum, ruler of the Candy Kingdom, Marceline the Vampire Queen, the Ice King, ruler of the Ice Kingdom, Gunter, his favorite penguin and second in command, the Lich, an undying and evil arch-villain of the duo, and many other supporting, side, and background characters.

The show has changed and progressed as the seasons have gone by, with some enemies becoming friends and friends leaving or changing, for better or worse.  The later seasons have season long arcs, focusing on character’s relationships, and losing some of the silliness and randomness. The series more than makes up for it in the character conflicts.  Later episodes also give backstory on characters, revealing several to be over a thousand years old, insane, or survivors of the apocalypse.  Yes, a kid’s show takes place after the apocalypse, leaving plenty of evidence of previous civilizations.  There is also several confirmations that humans are extinct or close to it, as Finn’s title “the Human” showcases.

The show is notorious for non-secretor humor and recurring themes, characters, and phrases.  Many of the first season’s episodes simply cut to black at the end, leaving a sense of speradtity.  The image of a 13 year-old boy wielding a sword yelling “Mathematical!”  has yet to leave my mind. Music is also featured heavily in the series, with characters singing little one verse tunes about the situation they are in, or full songs featuring multiple singers.  The excellent writing, complex characters, attention to detail, and unique style of the show make it a series I highly recommend.