Digging Deeper with AHS Shout Outs

By Emily Yager

An anonymous student created the account @AHSShoutOuts on twitter to brighten the scene after AHS hookups tweeted insulting and demeaning things towards students.

The source for the account said they wanted to make the account for a while, but got the final push of inspiration from Allison Berryhill with her tweet about taking a stand against bullying on twitter.

AHSneedle contacted the account for an interview via the twitter email associated with it.  However, the person behind the twitter account still remains anonymous.  The person behind the account stated that he or she has two goals.  The first goal said was, “to encourage and uplift people who do the right thing and let them know it’s not a waste.”  Secondly he or she would like the twitter account to,” get all of us focused on the good things happening in our school rather than the things we don’t like.”

Screen Shot 2013-12-05 at 1.55.46 PM
An anonymous student tweets positive and uplifting things. Direct message them on twitter @AHSShoutOuts or email them at [email protected]. Whether it’s someone helping another pick up their things they’ve dropped or someone that has a particularly positive attitude, submit it!

As for the future of the account, the source said he or she wasn’t sure how long the account will be around. The source is open to the idea of passing the account down to an underclassmen when they graduate if the account is still going strong.

The account encourages sending in shout out ideas via direct messages on twitter or email. “I can’t do it alone,” said the account. “I’m not everywhere at once, and if someone stands up to a bully in the hallway, dunks every shot in gym class, or goes out of their way to help someone out, chances are I didn’t see it. I need other people to be on the lookout for good deeds and send them to me. I think you’ll find that it makes you a more positive and optimistic person– it has for me.”

Sophomore Sidney Gifford said, “It’s good because it boosts up their confidence. ‘Yeah, people like what I’m doing. Awesome.’” Junior Haley Schweigert thinks what they are doing is really nice. “It’s positive,” Schweigert said. Freshman Sydney Redler agreed and said, “It encourages other people to do good stuff.”

f you see someone do something positive, or if you did something you’re proud of, make it known! Submit a shout out today!

If you would like to read a previous story regarding AHS Hookups, click here: https://ahsneedle.com/?p=13385