AHS Hookups

AHS Hookups

By Rachelle Wagoner and Sam Renaud

Recently, there has been an uproar over a Twitter account, @AHShookups_2.  This is the second AHSHookups account that has been created in the Atlantic School District in the past two years. The account is anonymous and makes fun of AHS students and their personal lives.

Though the account was only active for a few hours, the account got up to the mid-seventies in followers and tweeted just over twenty times.  Before the account was deleted, it said extremely hurtful things to some AHS students. The account tweeted sexually demeaning comments directed at AHS students.  The account was deactivated quickly because AHS students reported the account and were sticking up for the other kids being made fun of.

Senior Lauren Krogman said, “I thought the tweets were a little over-board, but some people got too offended over it”  Macey Schmitt said, “It is dumb how people have to say those things while hiding behind a computer screen just to make themselves feel good.

Students in the halls were chattering about it the day after, and some classes even discussed the issue.

There was a bright side to the dilemma; another anonymous account was created in a more positive manner.  The account was AHS Shoutouts, and was made to give students and teachers shoutouts for the positive things they bring to AHS.

For more information on cyber-bullying you can visit www.atlanticiaschools.org and look at Atlantic’s policy on bullying.