Hannah Jespersen competes for All-State solo

By Turner Russel

Senior Hannah Jespersen of Atlantic High School has been selected as a solo finalist for the All-State Choir. Jespersen has auditioned for All-State all four years of high school.  Jespersen explained the process of competing for the honor of soloist. “With the help of Ms. Gaesser, I recorded an audition tape of the soprano solo in Tambourines. About two weeks later, I found out that I’m a solo finalist. On Thursday night, I will audition with the other 8 solo finalists in front of the director and she will choose from there.” Jespersen explained that all the preparations are stressful, but not usually until about two weeks before auditions. “You really begin to realize how quickly auditions are approaching.” said Jespersen.

Jespersen stated that her favorite part about the Allstate process is working with her group (Preston Hoye, Ben Parker, and Halee Glenn). “They became some of my best friends. We messed with each other constantly, but I wouldn’t have wanted to audition with anyone else. They mean a lot to me.”, said Jespersen. Regarding the actual process, Jespersen described the most nerve racking thing to as, “The period of waiting time between auditioning and finding out who got recalled. I had never gotten recalled before this year, and when I did, I was completely terrified.” Even though she gets nervous, she says she considers it to be good for her, and that she has never been so nervous it has affected her performance.

When Jespersen was asked if someone in particular inspired her to do Allstate, she answered,“My mom! After she died at the beginning of my sophomore year, I wasn’t going to audition. I decided she would have wanted me to, so I did. I didn’t make it that year, but I’m still glad I auditioned because the process is such an amazing one.” And finished saying, “The most important thing is to do your best and not regret your performance. Even if you don’t make it, you should always be proud of yourself. Not everyone has the courage to audition for something so prestigious.”