Choice Printing

Ban on E-Cigarettes

By Madison Helvie

In the spring of 2008 Iowa made it illegal for anyone to smoke in a public place. This includes stores, sporting events and even restaurants. But recently a new form of cigarette came out and they are battery operated products that “heat liquid nicotine, derived from tobacco plants, into a vapor” that the user inhales.These new cigarettes are called E-cigarettes. The cigarette is electronic hence the name E-cig.

Due to the fact that these cigarettes contain heated liquid nicotine makes it legal for minors to purchase them. AG Miller however has asked Iowa Legislature to ban the sales on minors. According to the Des Moines Register Miller had to say, “Over the past several years e-cigarettes have developed technologically, and they have grown quickly in popularity.”  He also said, “Our state laws, regulations and policies don’t address these products, and I think it’s time for the legislature to begin the conversation.” Four states have already included the electronic cigarette in the indoor smoking bans. These states include Arkansas, New Jersey, North Dakota and Utah.

The fact that the purchase and usage with E-cig is not illegal and minors can not get in trouble for having or using the product we asked three students if they knew what they were and all three said that they knew what the product was and two of the three had never tried them but seen there friends use them. The other student said he had tried an “e-cig” and he also said that his friends had tried them.Two students said they seen minors who had bought them.

They plan to know the outcome of the FDA’s decision as soon as possible.