Getting to Know Miss Thurston

Getting to Know Miss Thurston

By Turner Russell and Alex Lensch

“I knew I wanted to be a school counselor, and get to work with kids to help them discover their true potential,” said AHS guidance council Jennifer Thurston.  Thurston is undergoing her first year here at Atlantic High School.  Thurston elaborated on her job stating, “I see kids have absolutely incredible potential to leave this world a better place than they found it.”

Thurston is widely liked throughout the school.  Principal Heather McKay described Thurston as a genuine and honest person who has “a fresh new perspective”. McKay continued to explain, “She is real.”  McKay also described that she had noticed Thurston getting involved with students on an individual basis.

When asked what she thinks of Atlantic High School after being here since the beginning of the year, Thurston said there are a lot of cool students but she finds it interesting that the students keep wearing shorts even when it’s cold.

An interesting fact Thurston revealed is that she lives in West Des Moines.  She has to drive over 60 miles every day to get to school.  She says that the drive is getting better as gas prices dive lower.

“I think the best thing about this school is the potential that these students have, but they don’t realize it yet,” said Thurston. One of Thurstons previous jobs was being a substance abuse counselor so she says she, “likes being able to be involved with students on a different level,” here at AHS.

Thurston has a passion for her work that she illustrates every day.  “I hope that in my time here students begin to believe that they have the power to change their school, and their world.”   When asked what she thought could be improved at the high school, Thurston answered, “Taking more pride in being a student at Atlantic.”  Thurston stated ultimate goal as a guidance counselor, “I hope they realize it is the choices they make now that will change things for the better.  I hope they make a decision to believe in themselves.”  Thurston believes that if all of her beliefs happen in any way, then she has done her job.