Wrestlers Begin Cutting Weight

Wrestlers Begin Cutting Weight

by Karly Monson and Kate Fulk

With wrestling season quickly approaching, it’s time for the wrestler’s to start the dreadful process of cutting weight.  No wrestler likes to endure the painful process, but it’s part of the sport.  Cutting weight helps the wrestler move down a weight class, which makes it easier while wrestling the opponent.

The weight that wrestler’s have to cut varies.  This year, senior Tyler Christensen has to cut 25 pounds by limiting his food intake, eating low carb foods, drinking plenty of water, and sweating it out.  “Cutting weight is worth it to me because it makes me more mobile, agile, and hostile,” says Christensen.  Junior Reid Nichols, who cuts weight every year, is cutting 10 pounds.  When asked about whether cutting weight is worth it or not, Nichols said it’s worth it to him because he’s a very competitive person and will do basically anything to win.  Nichols isn’t really on a diet, he just eats high energy foods with the lowest net weight as possible, and uses a food scale to help him, along with drinking lots of Ensure Plus and eating fruit.  Freshman Zac Stork is cutting 17 pounds by watching what he eats, lowering his amount of food intake, and the week before a meet sticking to a basically all water diet.

Having to cut weight is no easy task, but it is a part of the sport.  When dealing with cravings, each wrestler has a different strategy.  Christensen watches the Food Network when he gets hungry, while Stork chews lots of gum.  Since Nichols cuts liquid out of his diet, when he gets really thirsty he will go to the drinking fountain, rinse his mouth out with water, and spit it back out.

Even though the process of cutting weight is not a fun experience for wrestlers, they keep a positive attitude and go through the pain to get the final result:  a win.  It may not be easy throughout the season, but when looking back, Christensen, Nichols, and Stork do not ever regret cutting weight.  “Last year after wrestling season was over, I gained 20 pounds in 24 hours,” says Nichols.  It is a hard price to pay, but the result of cutting weight is worth it in the end.