Girls Winter Soccer League Begins at AHS

By Miranda Olson

With winter just around the corner, girls’ soccer coach Daniel Vargason prepares his girls for their season in March by setting up a winter soccer league.

This winter soccer league is a 3-on-3 league where the girls can play and improve on their skills before the start of the season.  3-on-3 play is a set up with either small goals or cones, and it forces the team to make short, quick passes and move without the ball.  The practices will consist of a 15-20 minute warm up and skill practice session, then have a 30-40 minute 3-on-3 play.  Any girl who is planning on playing for the Trojans this year is encouraged to participate.

The league will begin near the middle-to-end of November and will be held in one of the Atlantic school’s gyms.  The girls are participating in this league to “have more skill going into the season and be better prepared for their season,” says Vargason.

Coach Jordan Newberg states, “My number one goals is to have the girls moving and touching the ball all winter. I also am hoping the winter league will help their first touch, passing, spacing, talking, and chemistry. Anything the girls do now are things that we won’t have to do as much of in season.”

Junior Taylor Jessen states, “I’m excited for it.  Hopefully it will give us a chance to get a head start on the season.”  Junior Tori Bruck says, “Well, I’ve never played soccer before, so I’m kind of nervous.  But I think it should be fun.”

Anyone who is planning on participating can contact coach Vargason.