Quick start ignites Falcons over Trojans

by Anthony Robinson

The Atlantic Trojans traveled to Council Bluffs for a Saturday night high school basketball game against the St. Albert Falcons.  The Falcons hit eight three-point field goals en route to a 62-45 win over the Trojans.

With the loss the Trojans fell to 0-3 overall.

The Trojans found themselves playing catch-up from the opening whistle.  After controlling the opening tip and missing two shots in the lane, the Falcons went on an 11-0 run, before sophomore Sam Markham hit a jumper from the baseline for the Trojans’ first two points of the game at the 4:25 mark.  The Falcons took advantage of eight Trojan turnovers, jumping out to a 21-4 lead heading to the second quarter.

The Trojans came out of the quarter break shooting at will.  Sophomore point guard Chad Christensen hit a three-point field goal less than 30 seconds into the quarter, before sophomore forward Dalton Franken hit a free throw, and senior Derek Tjepkes scored his first two points of the season, to cut the Falcons lead to 21-10.   Just as fast as the Trojans felt the momentum switch sides, the Falcons countered with a 10-0, sparked by their fourth and fifth three-pointers of the first half to take their largest first half lead of 21 points.   The Trojans ended the half on an 11-2 run, to cut the Falcons’ lead to 33-21 going to the locker rooms.

Early in the second half, the Trojans were able to drive to the hole, but were unable to convert many easy buckets.  The Trojans got as close as 33-23 early and 40-27 midway through the quarter, before St. Albert took a 48-31 lead into the fourth.

In the final quarter, the Trojans were unable to swing any of the momentum their way.  The Falcons led by as many as 22, 57-35, before closing out the game 62-45.

The Falcons were paced by senior guard Stephen O’Neill with 16 points, and senior Nick VanSoelen finishing with 13 points and leading the Falcons with three of their eight three-point baskets.

The Trojans were led by Franken with 17 points, and junior forward Gunnar Blum with 10.

The Trojans host the Red Oak Tigers Tuesday night at 7:30 in the AHS gym.