Meet the new Agriculture Teacher, Mr. Miller!

By Tucker Sager and Connor Burg

by Tucker Sager and Connor Burg

Atlantic High School welcomed a new Agriculture teacher this 2013-2014 school year, Eric Miller.  Miller began his duties here in the summer and began his teaching at the start of the school.

Miller will also be in charge of the FFA program. He said that his goal for FFA is to build the program to 50 students within the year and up to 100 within the next five years.  Miller is determined to make the AHS chapter known more across the state. He wants to go to new events, including National Convention.  A total of nine (eight students plus Miller) will travel to Louisville, Ken., in October to experience this event.

Miller comes to AHS with the past experience of building a program in Odebolt, Iowa. Miller had close to 100 students in his chapter in Odebolt.

Miller said that wherever the students of the chapter wanted to go he would take them. Miller stated that he likes to give students freedom and he likes to act mainly as just a supervisor.

Students think that Miller will be a good Ag instructor and is willing to do whatever they want. Haley Carlson said, “I think he is going to really expand our program and get us more involved in the community.”

The classes were pretty much going to be the same for the first year because he wanted to get a feel of what was taught before. But in the future Miller would like to change and possibly add a few classes to make it up-to-date.

During Millers free time he likes to play golf and go watch Iowa Hawkeye games.

Miller said that the most interesting place he had been was Chicago. “Looking down at the ground from the observation deck in the Sears tower at 1400 feet above the ground was pretty neat.”