Trojan Volleyball Shows a Glimpse of What it Can Be

By Tyler Christensen and Brody Peterson

On Thursday, Oct. 3, the Atlantic Trojans volleyball team came out strong, against the Kuemper Catholic Knights, scoring the first point. The battle for the lead was tremendous through the first game. Early in the game, senior Bailey Walter and Sophomore Meghan Reily deny a knight’s spike. The momentum went back forth between each team.

Walter said, “We played really hard and fast. Communicating all around, showing the potential we can play to.” As the first game came to an end, the Knights pulled off the win 25 to 17. The second and third game was not so much in the Trojans favor as the first. Being defeated by the Knights 25 to 4 in the second game and 25 to 11 in the third. The Knights were well rounded all night long, not being scared by the first game.

When asked how she thought the team played, Junior Rachelle Wagoner commented, “ Really well the first game. Then we let it get into our heads and we completely fell apart the second and third game.”

Coach Jennifer Humpfer said staying mentally tough and not backing down when things get tough is what they need to work on to play better like their first game. The Trojans showed what they are capable of on Thursday. The Trojans are hoping to be able to come back and play their best next week.