Forensics Season Officially Kicks Off!

By Madison Helvie

The AHS forensics team opened their season this year on Oct. 4, 2013 with three students making it to finals.This is the first year that Simpson College has had a debate team. The team traveled to Simpson for the tournament and the students included: Senior Jessica Askeland, Sophomore Madison Helvie and Sophomore Logan Holzapfel.

The team members were in Dramatic Interpretation, Poetry, and Prose this weekend. Askeland placed 2nd in Prose Interpretation. Helvie placed 6th in Poetry and Holzapfel placed 6th in Prose Interpretation. The students worked on their pieces to compete with other schools from around Iowa.

The tournament includes three rounds of competition and a final round for those who make it. Afterwards, there was an award ceremony to give awards to those who placed in their event.

Askeland has been a part of the Forensics team for four years joining her freshmen year.Helvie joined last year during her Freshmen year and Holzapfel joined this year.Last year the team had a successful season. The team traveled to state and last year’s Senior Caroline Trewet qualified and attended All-State, four years in a year.

Matthew Smith, English teacher and director of drama and forensics, went along and was a judge for other school events. Smith joined as coach for the team last year after previous coach Terrence Shuman retired during the 2012-2013 school year. Smith has also taken over the drama department which includes the fall play.

The team will continue to compete this season. Next, tournament takes place next weekend on Oct. 19. Good Luck to all AHS student participants in the competitions to come!