Football Pants Logo in Question

By Leah Tjepkes

Homecoming week is approaching Atlantic High School and questions about the football players’ attire for that week’s game against the Denison Monarchs has been the talk for some of the juniors and seniors who participate in this event.

When this year’s Seniors were Freshmen, the football team marched from the high school to the Trojan Bowl arriving in all black uniforms. Since then, the players have not worn the all black uniforms. Tyler Christensen, one of the football team’s captains, would like to wear the blackout uniforms during his last year playing for AHS. Many students have built up a curiosity in knowing why the all black uniforms have not been used since homecoming of the senior’s freshman year.

The problem with the all black uniforms are the pants. The logo on the pants are not a Trojan, but a Spartan. Mr. Smith, Atlantic’s English and debate teacher, explained how the Trojan War lasted for ten years with it ending when the Spartans were able to get inside the gates of Troy and destroy the city within. Wearing the Trojan head embroidered jersey and the Spartan head embroidered pants would be like supporting two groups that wanted to destroy each other.

However, there are potential solutions to this problem. Coach Ross’s solution is to the black pants dilemma is to patch over the Spartan logo and embed the Trojan logo on top. He hopes to propose this solution to Mr. Alexander, Atlantic’s current athletic director. This quick fix would be a cheaper resolution than ordering new pants which would cost between 60-70 dollars a pair.

The concern with the logo on the pants shows how important school spirit is the Coach Ross. Ross greatly encourages dress up days that involve the school colors. For example, white out, black out, and black and gold. Ross will consider using the black pants for an all black out uniform for this year’s homecoming. He knows that the special attire would get his players wound up for such an important event as the homecoming game.