State FFA Leadership Conference

On April 21-22, the 85th State FFA Leadership Conference was held in Ames on the ISU campus. Many members from our local FFA chapter participated in this two-day event.

The first day’s events included band and chorus practice, as well as voting for the new state officers for next year. The delegates running were juniors Steven Wright and Wyatt Saeugling.

On the second day of the conference, Kristin Johnk received a plaque for winning second place for the Diversified Horticulture Entrepreneurship Proficiency category during the 2nd session. In the 3rd session, J.P. Freund was in contention for the “Star Over Iowa” for his Ag. Placement proficiency.

During the 4th and final session of the conference, members from our band and choir performed with other FFA members from across the state. Junior Paige Sorensen was the lone band member and Emily Jacobsen, Johnk, and Heather Reyna all sang in the chorus.

Five  members from the AHS FFA chapter received their Iowa Farmer Degree. Qualifications of earning this degree are to earn their chapter degree, participate in 360 hours of Ag. Education, a combination of  either earning $1000 or 300 hours of excess working time, community service activities, leadership abilities and a good scholastic record. The five recipients were Freund, Jacobsen, Sam McConnell, Austin Petty, and Reyna.

The convention was a memorable experience for many. Sorensen’s favorite memory was “seeing all of the blue jackets, and the suburban rides home.” This also was advisor Bruce Johnk’s last convention that he will attend.

If you are interested in joining FFA, contact Mr. Johnk or any of the officers.