New technology issue surfaces at AHS

An image showing that you are given when you attempt to open the shared document

By Landon Stark

After having our website compromised we now have a new problem involving technology.  Roger Warne recently sent out an email to all AHS informing us of an email that can steal our passwords, a method of hacking called Phishing.

What is Phishing?
Definition: The activity of defrauding an online account holder of financial and personal information by posing as a legitimate company.

The “hacker” is using this method of hacking by sending a fake spam email to a mass group of emails, hoping they follow through the process in order for him to receive your password.

What is Spam?
Send the same message indiscriminately to (large numbers of recipients) on the Internet.

The email people have been receiving is a shared document. Once you click on it you are prompted to login; once you do this, your account information is theirs. Roger has said to make sure if you receive this email to delete it right away.

If you have already clicked on and used the email, change your password immediately in order to prevent losing your account. If you don’t change your password, this would cause an even bigger issue. The “hacker” can now send the email to everyone in your contacts. This shows that we all need to be careful by what we do involving the internet, and technology.