Steve Blazek Retires from Coaching Basketball

By: Kelsey Hamilton an Kaiya Williams

Atlantic High School head basketball coach Steve Blazek resigned from his coaching position this past week.  When the season began, Blazek had the feeling in the back of his mind.

When asked about his resignation, Blazek said that it was 100% his choice. His wife, being the first person he told, was ready for him to resign. “This gives me an opportunity to see my grandchildren’s activities.”

He mentioned that leaving students behind will be hard and very sad. The best part of his coaching career was seeing the players’ growth and success. The worst part was being worried about the players not having good grades or making bad decisions. Blazek mentioned, “Without a doubt this is going to be hard just giving it up.” He spent 36 years as a coach.

JV coach Trace Peterson said that he suspected Blazek to resign this year. He wasn’t shocked, even though it was sad to see someone that is such a good leader leave. When asked about the now open position, Petersen said, “There were some good applications in, and it matters on what openings for teaching are in.”

basketball2-640x480

Senior Harrison Hoegh said, “He was good at getting people to practice hard and a consistent coach.”  Blazek coached Harrison and his fellow seniors for four years.

Blazek felt the regular season went great and they had great competition. Their goal was to get the #1 seat and they accomplished that. “The toughest part about being a coach this year was getting beat in the substate game.”

The boys basketball head coaching position is still open.