Every Fifteen Minutes

By: Alexi Allen and Lisa Gearheart

The “Every 15 Minutes” program was last brought to Atlantic High School in 2011.  It is a program that makes students aware of the dangers of drinking and driving. Every 15 minutes, someone dies due to a drinking and driving accident.

When the program comes to a high school their goal is to make the feelings of a drinking and driving accident as “close to home” as possible.  According to AHS vice principal and athletic director Josh Rasmussen, “They put an accident on out here in our parking lot which included our own students. There was a wreck. We had the police, a fire truck, and the life flight landed in our parking lot, just to give students a realistic feel of what happens at an accident.”

In 2011, students were told that the “Every 15 Minutes” program would return to the high school in two years. Many students have been asking about the program returning this spring. According to Josh Rasmussen, it is not currently on the schedule. “Originally, we wanted everyone to feel it once. The program intended to return to Atlantic after they have been around to other schools in the county,” Rasmussen said.

AHS students hope that the program will return to AHS in 2014. Junior Lauren Krogman said, “I would like to be involved in the ‘Every 15 Minutes’ program because I think it’s effective to the students and shows what can happen if you choose to drink and drive.”