Atlantic Represents in Western Iowa All-Star Basketball Game

By: Emily Mitchell

The Western Iowa All-Star game was played Sunday, March 24, at the Iowa Western Kanesville Arena in Council Bluffs, Iowa. Players from the Southwest Iowa region participated in the game. Atlantic representatives were Seniors Chad Christensen, Dalton Franken, and Sam Markham.

The game consisted of two 20 minute halves. One team consisting of students from large schools (Abraham Lincoln, Atlantic, Creston, Denison-Schleswig, Glenwood, Harlan, and Lewis Central) played another team consisting of students from smaller schools (East Mills, Griswold, IKM-Manning, Red Oak, Riverside, Sidney, St. Alberts, Treynor, Tri-Center, and Underwood.)

The Atlantic participants all agreed it was a “fun experience to play with opponents all year.” Markham also added it was “nice to get to know them on a personal level.” Markham continued by saying, ”Playing with past opponents was a lot of fun. It was nice to go out and compete with them after you beat up on each other all year.” Franken said it was “weird” playing with past opponents “because you’re use to playing against them,” but it was “fun to play with them.” Christensen said, “It was weird passing them the ball but everyone got along.” Christensen also added the game was “pretty quiet,” while Markham said “It was fun and an enjoyable experience. The game was a little slower paced than an actual game.” Franken stated, “ It was like a laid back scrimmage.”

The larger schools team won by a score of 95-85.  Following the game, Franken was awarded Most Valuable Player.