Trojanns fall short to Carroll

by Anthony Robinson

The Atlantic Trojanns played their first home game of the 2010-2011 basketball season Monday night against the Carroll Tigers.  Led by six foot junior Lindsey Schulz with 29 points, the Tigers defeated the Trojanns 50-34.

Carroll poised a threat down low for the Trojanns with three forwards six foot or taller.  All but two Tiger points came from one of the three six footers.  According to Coach Casey Pelzer, “They were monsters down there.”

Early in the first, neither team was able to make a shot.  The first points came at the 4:57 mark in the first quarter.  The Trojanns put up three after three, but were unable to convert any of their treys.  Both teams’ zone defenses proved to very stingy during the first quarter.  Neither team was able to get inside the others’ zone.  At the end of the quarter the Trojanns only led 6-4.

During the second quarter the Tigers began to establish an inside game, as Schulz had eight of their 12 second quarter points.  Led by Senior forward Taylor Young’s nine points in the second quarter, the Trojanns took a 17-16 lead.  Young had 11 points during the first half to lead all scorers.

As the second half began, Carroll began to run and pound the ball inside.  The Trojanns switched their defense and the Tigers welcomed the opportunity, building a 27-17 lead on an 11-0 run.   The Trojanns first points of the third quarter came from Young with 2:10 left in the third.   As time expired to end the third quarter, junior post player Samantha McConnell was able to get a lay-up to give the Trojanns momentum heading into the final quarter.  The Trojanns were outscored 15-6 in the third quarter and trailed 31-23.

Heading into the fourth and final quarter, neither team had successfully made a three-point field goal.  Junior point guard Paige Kennon ended the drought by draining a three-point basket early in the quarter.  With 2:40 remaining in the fourth, Carroll built their largest lead at the time of 15, 43-28.  During the final two minutes, the Trojanns attempted to make the Tigers win the game at the free-throw line.  Unfortunately, Carroll was able to hit their free throws and pulled away from the Trojanns to a 50-34 win.

Coach Pelzer said, “I’m proud of the girls effort…they competed for 32 minutes. They battled defensively, but in the end they didn’t make enough shots.”

Young led the Trojanns with 15 points.

The Trojanns host the Glenwood Rams Friday night in the first Hawkeye 10 conference game of the year.