Facing Your Fears–and Saving a Life

By Landon Stark

Once again NHS students are prowling the halls, looking for blood donors. This week at AHS students can sign up for the American Red Cross Blood Drive that will be held Wednesday March 4. Donating to the blood drive can save up to three lives, so it’s a really good thing to participate in!

This will be the first year many people have donated, including myself, and I’m personally horrifically terrified! When I consider giving blood, I always think of the bad things that could happen: What if they can’t find my veins, or I pass out while giving blood? I know it is a good thing to donate blood, and I am willing to do it as a way to face my fears.

People who are afraid to donate should take the time to read the blood drive packet. The packet tells of the process, and the possible side effects of giving blood. The packet says things such as “Some donors may become light-headed or dizzy during or after the donation” and “Some may faint or experience an injury requiring additional medical care.” Furthermore, it cautions that “young, first-time and/or low weight donors are more likely to experience reactions than other donors.” These are exactly the things that worry me.

There is hope though, if you continue through the packet it explains ways to possibly avoid side effects. Donors are reminded to eat a good breakfast, drink water several hours ahead of time, and get eight hours of sleep. Many people I’ve talked to say they’ve had positive experiences giving blood. Juniors Maren McNeese and Meghan Plambeck both donated for the first time in October. Both said it was really easy and painless. They will both be donating again on March 4.

While considering the blood drive, remember the multiple steps one must go through. First you must find a time that would work into your day, and sign up for a time slot in room 402. Those who are under the age of 17 must have a permission form signed by a parent/guardian. After this you should look into your health history to make sure you are actually fit enough to even give blood.

Now for the fun stuff: the donation. When you first arrive at the gym, you’ll sign in. Be sure to bring a photo ID. Next, you’ll meet with a Red Cross staff member who will verify your health. This involves a finger prick. According to junior Haley Waters, this is feels like “not even a pinch.”

Next you will be led to a donation table, where they’ll take your blood pressure and prepare your arm for donation. The nurse will cleanse an area of your arm and insert a needle to draw blood. You will get to gently squeeze a fun red ball to keep the blood flowing! It usually takes about 15 minutes. Once you are done donating you may go sit down, relax, and enjoy refreshments.

I’m personally terrified about giving blood, but I am facing my fears by donating anyway! I feel people should be willing to face their fears no matter what they may be–because you might find out something isn’t as scary as you first thought it to be.

landon
Junior Landon Stark signing the blood donation sign up sheet. This will be the first year Stark has donated blood.