Choice Printing

OPINION – Are guns really needed for protection?

Photo on 2013-01-25 at 08
Angel Kunik

OPINION – By Angel Kunik

The shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut last month brought the issue of gun ownership back into the spotlight.    According to GunPolicy.org, 32,163 people died as a result of firearms in 2011. This number has been on a rising trend since 1999, when 28,874 people died from guns.

I think one problem with gun control is that many people are getting guns for protection for their family. People who have easy access to guns in the house might be more likely for them to do something really bad with the gun that they own. This could be out of anger, or accidents, or even suicide!

There are many other forms of protection in this world. You could use a baseball bat, and maybe even a bb gun just to scare somebody if they try to break into your house. My grandpa does this with his bb gun. He does this just to make people think its real but it’s not. He does this because he doesn’t want to hurt anybody.

I want the students of Atlantic High School to be careful if they own a gun or if someone they live with owns one. It could be very dangerous, for you and other people. So just watch out and be safe! All I want to do for gun control is to use a different way to protect myself and my family.