Atlantic to host State Show Choir festival

By Kristin Johnk

Atlantic High School will be one of the eight schools hosting the Iowa High School Music Association (IHSMA) State Show Choir festival on Monday, Jan 28.

AHS choir director Jennifer Gaesser said the IHSMA director assigned show choirs to eight different sites for the festival, one including Atlantic.

State Show Choir will be Diversity's last performance this year. They will be given a rating of a 1 to a 5 for their singing and dancing abilities.
State Show Choir will be Diversity’s last performance this year. They will be given a rating of a 1 to a 5 for their singing and dancing throughout the performance.

Schools will come to these sites and perform a contest set for a 1 to 5 rating, based on their singing and dancing abilities as a group.

Eleven schools from the surrounding area will perform at the AHS auditorium, starting at 3:30 p.m. The last group is expected to begin at 9:10 p.m.

AHS show choirs will be performing at 5:40 p.m. (Diversity), and at 7:24 p.m. (Premiere). Gaesser said she is very excited about hosting this event and hopes that everyone will “give 100% and have a good time.”

The cost to watch all performances is $3 for students, $5 for adults. No activity passes will be accepted, as it is a state event.

Premiere will perform on Monday at 7:24 p.m. The cost to watch all performances is $3 for students. No activity passes will be accepted!

Monday will be Diversity’s last performance. The next show choir competition for Premiere will be on Feb. 23 at Sioux City Bishop Heelan, with their last performance on March 2 in Emmetsburg, Iowa.