Choice Printing

Singers audition for “Guys and Dolls”

Students were given the opportunity to audition for the music department’s annual spring musical last week.

On Dec. 12-13, 37 students auditioned for the musical, “Guys and Dolls.” Students were able to audition on their choice of either Wednesday or Thursday, and the final cast list was posted on Friday. All students who auditioned were cast as either characters or extras.

Jennifer Gaesser, the high school choir director, said that auditions “Went very well” and she is “Excited about the talent we have at Atlantic.”

The musical, “Guys and Dolls,” which centers around gambling, premiered on Broadway in 1950. The story follows four lead characters, Sky Masterson (senior Eric Renner), Sarah Brown (senior Mikayla Somers), Nathan Detroit (junior Preston Hoye), and Miss Adelaide (senior Caroline Trewet).

The first step in getting cast is the audition. Students who were interested in trying out signed up for a time slot and learned the audition pieces. Everyone was required to sing the same song and read through a monologue depending on their gender.

Somers, who has participated in several musicals before this year, said that her audition was “Easy, simple, and quick.”

Auditions are only the start of the musical process. Now that the cast is set, students will receive their scripts for the first rehearsal on Jan. 4. These rehearsals will continue for roughly two and a half months until production week and opening night.

When asked what she is looking forward to the most about the musical this year, Trewet said, “Production week because everything is coming together and it’s cool to see what we can do.”

The musical will run from March 8-10. All community members are welcome to attend.

For the entire cast list, click here.

Guys and Dolls