Choice Printing

New Accompanist for Premiere

by Hannah Jespersen

As the Premiere show choir at AHS practices for their 2012-2013 competition season, junior Benton Gearheart prepares to fill the shoes of the previous accompanist, Michelle Schuler.

Gearheart practices with the show choir every other day during 5th period. He is learning the music on his own time while show choir director Jennifer Gaesser and senior Mikayla Somers help him to play each note with accuracy. Gearheart says, “I’m getting used to accompanying and I’m learning to count better.”

The songs “Steal Your Rock ‘n’ Roll”, “Boogie Shoes”, “A Song For You”, “Set Fire to the Rain”, “Soul Man”, and “Signed, Sealed, Delivered” will all be accompanied by Gearheart. He says his favorite song to play is “Signed, Sealed, Delivered”. “I like the way the piano part sounds with the base.” he says.

When asked how he feels about Gearheart playing with the show choir, junior Tyler Christensen, a show choir student, says, “As long as he doesn’t mess up, I don’t care.” Adam Wieser, another junior show choir member, says, “[Gearheart] brings a younger vibe into the ensemble. I like that he plays.”

Members of Premiere respond positively to Gearheart’s accompanying. After each song he plays, the students clap for him. Cassie Hallman, a senior and 2-year-Premiere member says, “I think he’s doing a great job. He should keep up the good work.”

The first competition Gearheart will accompany is on Jan. 19 at Dallas Center-Grimes High School. He is looking forward to working with the group and hoping to advance toward a positive rating at State Show Choir on Jan. 28th at AHS.

The following dates include all of the show choir competitions this season: Jan. 19 at Dallas Center-Grimes High School, State Show Choir on Jan. 28th at AHS, Feb. 23 in Sioux City at Bishop Heelan High School, and March 2 at Emmetsburg High School.