Opting Out of Semester Tests With an “A”

By Lillie Zablocki
During the week before winter break each AHS student is required to take a semester test for all their classes. The test is administered by each teacher and it suppose to account for twenty percent of a student’s overall grade. This rule applies whether a student has an A or is failing that class.

There has been discussion between students and also teachers on whether students with an A in a certain class should be allowed to opt out a semester test. There are teachers who agree with this idea and teachers on the opposition. However, of the students interviewed, many of them agree with not having to take the semester with an A.

According to teacher Terry Hinzmann, “Yes, because they have fulfilled the requirements prior to the semester test and the only thing that can happen is bad, unless it’s a project.” He feels that the students have proved they know the material if they have maintained an A.

On the contrary, teacher Angela Hannigan feels semester tests are to help students “actually learn the material and not just study for tests the night before.” She thinks that students need to prove that they earn the grade they have received, whether it’s an A or not.

AHS students would like to see this take action in the school for many reasons. Junior, Valerie Watson said, “they should (opt out of semester test if they have an A) because it will only bring down their grade.”

AHS sophomore, Skyler Svoboda thinks we shouldn’t have to take the semester test if we have an A because “we could just bomb it and make us do worse.” Freshman Cooper Zablocki thinks the same thing because if that student has an A in the class the only place their grade will go is down.

Many of the teachers are still divided on the issue while the general consensus of the AHS students agree with the idea. This is only in discussions, particularly among the students and no plans for this to take action has been stated.

For additional rules regarding the semester test please refer to the AHS handbook.